Saturday, August 31, 2013

8/31 New Stove

Being a Saturday I decided to take on a significantly larger project. We had a built in stove top with a separate oven unit. My wife wanted a single glass top unit. We finally were able to acquire a decent one last week, and thus this weekends project was to rip out the old unit and cabinet, and replace it with the stand alone unit. This turned out to be a much larger project then I was planning. 

First was the demolition. Unfortunately it was not your standard smash and tear demolition. I had to be careful to only take out the pieces I wanted without breaking up the attached cabinets. This required that I go and purchase a new jigsaw. Luckily I was able to get a decent one for only $16.  After some careful cutting, and a significant amount of hammering I was able to tear out most of the cabinet area that I needed removed. 

The next major obstacle was the electrical. The old unit was hardwired in, meaning there was not a plug built into the wall. I therefore had to buy some 220 wire attach it to the old stuff. Run it inside the wall, connect it to a new plug, and mount all that back onto the wall. The part that was the hardest was running the wiring behind the wall. 

The rest of the demolition was then completed, and we moved the new stove in from the garage. By the time clean up was all done most of the afternoon had passed. I spent the rest of the day doing random electrical work throughout the house. At some point I will get to tearing out the separate oven unit that is still installed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment